الثلاثاء، 26 أكتوبر، 2010

كوريا الجنوبية لن تشارك في الدرع الصاروخي الأميركي

S. Korea rules out joining U.S. regional missile defense

SEOUL, Oct. 23 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has no plan to join the U.S. regional missile defense system but it will continue to strengthen cooperation with Washington to counter North Korea's missile threat, the defense ministry said Saturday.


   The ministry issued a statement to clarify comments made by its minister, Kim Tae-young, during a parliamentary audit a day earlier that were interpreted by some as suggesting that South Korea was considering joining the U.S. regional missile defense system.


   South Korea and the United States "will discuss ways to share information and to use resources for the protection of the Korean Peninsula from the threat of North Korean weapons of mass destruction when their Extended Deterrence Policy Committee meets," the ministry said in the statement.


   During their annual Security Consultative Meeting earlier this month, the defense chiefs of the allies agreed to form the committee as a cooperation mechanism to enhance deterrence against the North.


   "This does not mean (South) Korea will participate in the U.S. regional defense missile system," the ministry said.


   South Korea's anti-missile defense system, called Korea Air and Missile Defense, is designed to intercept low-flying, short-range North Korean missiles with the help of Aegis shipboard missile defense systems, while the U.S. system targets short- and mid-range ballistic missiles, according to ministry officials.


   "The past U.S. missile defense system was tailored to shielding the U.S. mainland, but its goals have been shifting to regional missile defense," a ministry official said, requesting anonymity. "We will strengthen cooperation and information sharing with the U.S."



أعلنت وزارة الدفاع الكورية الجنوبية أن سيول لا تعتزم الانضمام إلى نظام الدفاع الصاروخي الأميركي في المنطقة، مشددة في الوقت عينه على التزامها بتعزيز تعاونها مع واشنطن لمواجهة تهديد الصواريخ المعادية.
وذكرت وكالة الأنباء الكورية الجنوبية "يونهاب"، في 23 تشرين الأول/ أكتوبر، أن وزارة الدفاع أصدرت بياناً توضيحياً لتصاريح أدلى بها وزير الدفاع كيم تاي يونغ خلال جلسة برلمانية، فهمها البعض على أن سيول تدرس الانضمام إلى الدرع الصاروخي الأميركي.
وقال البيان إن "كوريا الجنوبية والولايات المتحدة ستناقشان سبل تشارك المعلومات واستخدام الموارد، من أجل حماية شبه الجزيرة الكورية من أسلحة الدمار الشامل الكورية الشمالية عند لقاء لجنة سياسة الردع الموسعة".
وأكد البيان أن ذلك لا يعني أن "كوريا الجنوبية ستشارك في نظام الدفاع الصاروخي الأميركي في المنطقة".
وأوضح مسؤول في الوزارة أن سيول ستعزز تعاونها ومشاركتها للمعلومات مع الولايات المتحدة.